Maintain a Healthy Smile with Preventive Dentistry
You can improve your oral health by adopting just a few, simple habits. You need to practice daily brushing and flossing, consume a healthy diet, and attend two checkups and cleanings with Dr. Chris Reger each year. A dental cleaning goes far beyond home care, removing calcified plaque from hard-to-clean areas. Daily care and routine maintenance are essential for long-term, optimal oral health. By prioritizing professional preventive dentistry for your family at our San Antonio practice just twice a year, you will know that you are doing all you can to keep your mouths healthy. Contact Dr. Reger today to schedule a cleaning and exam.
To maintain a healthy smile, good oral health begins with:
- Brushing: Brush at least twice a day for at least two minutes at each session. Use the toothbrush and toothpaste that Dr. Reger and our staff recommend. Replace your toothbrush at least once every three or four months.
- Diet: Eat a well-balanced diet that includes lots of water. Minimize your intake of starches, including sugar, and avoid sodas and energy drinks. Stay away from tobacco products, as well.
- Flossing: Clean between all of your teeth at least once a day. Our hygienist will show you the proper flossing technique and recommend a good floss or dental tape.
- Dental visits: Depending on your overall oral health, you should see Dr. Reger about once every six months for a cleaning and checkup, unless you are advised otherwise.
These factors are equally important, so do your best in all areas of oral care. By keeping your mouth clean, you can significantly reduce your risk for developing gingivitis and other serious conditions.
Dr. Reger strongly believes in the value of preventive dentistry for patients of all ages. The hygienists he selected for our team have years of experience, and they value professionalism and a gentle technique during treatment. During a routine check-up, you can expect to receive:
- Cleaning: Your hygienist will thoroughly clean each of your teeth. In addition, the hygienist will assess your soft tissue for signs of gum disease, oral cancer, and other oral health issues. She may recommend special home care products or, if you have gum disease, she will schedule you for a deep cleaning. Gum disease affects children and adults, and is present in approximately half of the population.
- Exam: X-rays are an important part of your visit. Dr. Reger can also use other equipment, like a 3-D computed tomography (CAT) scan, to help detect problems.
- Advice: If needed, you will receive instruction on how to keep your mouth cleaner at home, as well as options regarding any necessary restorative or cosmetic work.
We can also administer a topical fluoride treatment to boost your defense against cavities. For our younger patients, we often place clear plastic sealants on the molars as a barrier against bacteria that cause decay.
Schedule a Cleaning Today
Located near the 410 Loop, our office is fully equipped for patient comfort and clinical excellence. Contact our office today to schedule your family’s dental appointments and improve their oral health with preventive care.